View rate is one of the main indicators of the effectiveness of email distribution. If it falls, then users do not even open your letters. Why it happens? A list of the most common causes is below.
- 2. Lack of adaptation for mobile gadgets
- 3. Subscribers do not know what to expect from the newsletter.
- 4. Incorrect indication of the letter subject.
- 5. Lack of informational value
- 6. Messages get spammed
- 7. One-type letters with repetitive information.
- 8. Mailing letters without user permission
- 9. Complicated letter design
- 10. Your letters do not convince
- 11. Triviality and lack of live communication
- 12. You send mails irregularly.
- 13. There is too much text in your letters.
- 14. You send letters at the wrong time of day and day of the week.
- 15. The user sees the mailing list or receives an email addressed to another person.
- If users don't read your letters ...
1. Lack of personalization
Your subscribers receive dozens of commercial emails every day. They just do not notice most of the messages. Another thing, when the user sees his name in the subject line. Personal appeal creates the impression that the letter is addressed personally to the user.
Recommendations: refer to subscribers by name. To do this, adjust the parameters of your mailing service accordingly. Personalize the information in the letter. For example, ask users to rate the purchased product, congratulate them on their birthday, and offer guidance on the use of the purchased product.
2. Lack of adaptation for mobile gadgets
Users open more than half of their emails using smartphones and tablets. If you didn’t adapt Email-reading to reading from a small screen, don’t count on the effectiveness of this method of business promotion.
Recommendations: Adapt Email content to read from mobile screens.
3. Subscribers do not know what to expect from the newsletter.
Sometimes users subscribe to your newsletter to get something, for example, download a free book. After that, without reading, they delete your emails in the trash or even check the "Spam" box.
Recommendations: create a welcome letter for new subscribers. Tell users what information they will receive, why it is useful, how often letters will be received. Be sure to remind you that the user can unsubscribe at any time.
4. Incorrect indication of the letter subject.
Subscribers decide whether or not to open your email according to the sender’s information and the subject of the email. Here are some common mistakes marketers make:
- Empty Subject field. Such letters do not attract attention.
- A recurring theme. These emails are often automatically found in the Spam folder.
- Long text in the "Subject" field. First, the user has no time to read long messages. Secondly, they are not fully displayed.
- Spam topic. Exclamation marks, phrases like "only today and only with us", CAPS LOCK, generous promises are all good ways to get spammed.
Recommendations: in the "Subject" field it is enough to enter one or two short sentences. They should sell your letter to the subscriber and briefly disclose the message.
5. Lack of informational value
Subscribers sooner or later get tired of reading about your product and even discounts on it. If there is no useful information in the list, users will rarely see your messages.
Recommendations: send users useful information. It may be consumer guides, announcements of new publications on the site, information about the situation in the industry. You can offer consumers products and discounts. However, alternate selling letters with information.
6. Messages get spammed
When your mailing provider gets into the spam list of mail services, the share of email views drops sharply. The same picture is observed if users massively complain about your emails and send them to Spam.
Recommendations: first, contact the mailing provider and ask to solve the problem with the addresses that are on the list of mail service spammers. Second, take the following steps:
- Contact subscribers with an offer to unsubscribe from the newsletter if it does not interest them. Explain how to do this. Your emails annoy some users, so they check the box "Spam". It is beneficial for you that such users do not receive your messages.
- Reduce mailing aggressiveness. Give up spam tactics, shift the focus from selling to newsletters, offer customers real benefits and useful data.
- If the share of views remains extremely low, ask users to confirm the subscription. It is better to have 50 interested subscribers than 10 thousand annoyed users, half of whom send your emails to spam.
7. One-type letters with repetitive information.
Your customers want to receive information about discounts and useful information about the industry and products. But if you weekly change only the value of the discount and the name of the information block, this may disappoint the user.
Recommendations: submit a novelty element to the list. Send subscribers a selection of photos from the presentation of the new product, share the results of the competition in social networks, finally, just make a joke. Link the topics of the letter to the upcoming holidays, consider the situation in the industry. Use newsjacking.
8. Mailing letters without user permission
This happens when marketers manually add all their addresses to the mailing list. Users not only do not read such letters, but also send them to spam.
Recommendations: send messages only to interested users.
9. Complicated letter design
Some letters are difficult to read both on the mobile and on the desktop screen. A large number of small text, layout in several columns, barely noticeable links - all this does not add the desire to read the message.
Recommendations: make your newsletter design look like a website design. Use responsive layout for the convenience of mobile users.
10. Your letters do not convince
To list the reasons for the weakness of letters, you need to spend a few hours. For example, it is ridiculous to receive a message from the conditional OOO "Birches and Pines", promising luggage of money.
Recommendations: If you represent a well-known company with a strong brand, use its authority. Send messages from the corporate address, issue letters in a corporate style. If you start the market, try to gain credibility. Convince the audience with useful information, personal example and the results obtained.
11. Triviality and lack of live communication
Users are used to ignoring patterned commercial letters, even if they have useful information and great deals. The situation changes when the subscriber receives a letter from a living person.
Recommendations: Include in the newsletter letters from key employees of your company. Tell them stories of success and failure, teach consumers to use the product, communicate, try to get feedback.
12. You send mails irregularly.
If you do not send mails regularly, users will get out of your messages. They get annoyed when they receive several letters from you in a row after a month of silence.
Recommendations: select the frequency of mailing that you will be able to support. Stick to the plan.
13. There is too much text in your letters.
If your messages are always too much information, the audience is annoyed. Subscribers read newsletters if they don't come too often.
Recommendations: use different types of content. Alternate informational and promotional letters. Try to make the most of your messages a user could read in a few tens of seconds.
14. You send letters at the wrong time of day and day of the week.
Most users read letters in the morning. On weekends, the share of views of letters falls.
Recommendations: send letters in the morning on workdays.
15. The user sees the mailing list or receives an email addressed to another person.
This happens when novice marketers send out manually. They insert all recipients into the Email address bar.
Recommendations: use mailing services. If you are sending letters manually, use the option "BCC".
If users don't read your letters ...
... you failed to interest the audience with valuable information, product and favorable service conditions. Reconsider mailing lists. Think about what kind of letters you would like to receive on-site customers. Do not try at all costs to sell via email. Use it as one of the channels of interaction with the audience.